Bipolar, Unipolar, Monofilar, Bifilar - what does it mean?
In principle a stepper motor has four windings (coils)
They can be connected as follows:
- 4 leads - two coils in serial
- 4 leads - two coils in parallel
- 5 leads - on common wire
- 6 leads - two common wires
- 8 leads - all coils are separate terminated
- The coil is wound with only one single wire.
- The coil is wound with two wires in parallel.
- The voltage on the coil has always the same polarity; the current through the coils goes always in the same direction.
- The voltage on the coil changes in polarity; the current through the coil can change direction.
PID: 4051 CLT: 0.010 LMD: 2008-Oct-15